Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 21:53:40 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What happened?
Comments: To: TStone8359@aol.com

Sounds like the shims slipped in the process of installing the flywheel and someone just did a big crunch to get the flywheel on. Breaking one or more of the shims in the process or the shims were broken before they were installed. In addition the seal could have been touching the shims but its effect is unknown. As for the main bearing thrust surface (do you know what a good one looks like?) it can possibly be run that way if the proper shims are installed to give you .007 to .015 / .018 crank shaft end play float. Stick them together with heavy grease and set the end play before you install the front main seal. Long term excessive end play damages the rod bearings, binds the pistons but if you've got decent oil pressure I'd say run it as is. It should have at least 7psi at idle and 20 psi at 3000 Rpms. You will be risking blowing this engine by running it if there are bad rod bearings or it will not hold oil pressure at operating temperatures. That compression could improve with some running time, remove the bind from the rods, pistons and the rings might just reseat and improve that one ?????? cylinder. -------------- Crankshaft Shim Part Numbers ---------- 021-105-291 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .24mm / .0095 in. $2.70 021-105-281 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .30mm / .0120 in. NLA 021-105-283 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .32mm / .0126 in. $4.72 021-105-285 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .34mm / .0134 in. $4.72 021-105-287 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .36mm / .0142 in. $4.72 021-105-289 Shim, Bus & Vanagon, 1972 to 1991, .38mm / .0150 in. $4.72 -------------- ***************** -------------------- You can get a new flywheel or shop around and buy a used one. As for installing a new engine, you can buy a whole van for less than a quality rebuilt engine. If you're not really attached to this near free van I certainly would not invest those big bucks. 800-666-7167, call Bryan Sturgeon at this number he has a used flywheel its I-35 Foreign Wrecking Alvarado TX.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Wed, 29 May 2002 22:11:35 EDT Tom Stone <TStone8359@AOL.COM> writes: > A few weeks ago, my son found an '85 Vanagon sitting in the weeds at > a car > repair place. The body was in good shape. There was recent > evidence of > money spent -- new tires, rebuilt alternator. The man said the > engine ran > but that it had an oil leak. Couldn't start it because the battery > was dead. > The man wanted $100. The engine had about 120k on it. > > We pulled it home and checked spark plugs, recharged the battery, > made sure > intake hoses were on tight and tried to start it. It started right > up. But > it did have a massive oil leak, worst I have ever seen, coming from > the rear > main seal area. I did a compression check (all 125-145 except #3 - > 90) and a > leak down test (all 10% except for #3 -- 40%). I deemed it worthy > of fixing > the oil seal and seeing what we had. > > Monday, I took out the trans and took off the clutch but could not > get three > of the flywheel bolts off -- the allen heads were stripped. The > clutch disk > was soaked and oil came out of the two flywheel bolt holes. > Tonight, I tried > to turn the bolts with the air chisel -- no dice. I used the > grinder to cut > a slot in the bolt heads and tried to turn them out with a large > screw driver > -- nothing moved. Finally, I took the grinder and ground off the > bolt heads, > destroying the flywheel, but getting the flywheel off. > > What I found next is puzzling. Inside the seal area, the shims were > broken > into several pieces and worn thin. The seal was cooked hard and was > brittle. > There were no visible tears. The seal was set in from flush with > the case > by about 1/8 inch. > > What happened here? Was the flywheel torqued on too tight? Was the > end play > not set up right? Was the seal installed incorrectly? Looks like > all of the > above to me. > > And what do I do now? Are my thrust bearings trashed? Can I get > another > flywheel, redo the end play with new shims, put a new clutch and > seal in and > drive it or should this baby be rebuilt? My son is dreaming of a > road trip > to Florida and Colorado this summer..... > > TIA for your thoughts. > > Tom > '71 Westy, '85 Westy, '91 Carat, '81 VW Diesel Pickup >