Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 21:28:37 -0600
From:         Simon Reinhardt <simon@FARRSIDE.NET>
Subject:      Re: timing belt inline 4
Comments: To: Hermann the German <urlauber10@HOTMAIL.COM>

1. Yes. Do it. You'll save yourself some roadside annoyance- and make sure you replace the tensioner as well, as it's more often the cause of

belt failure. Chances are, you'll notice a bunch of other things that will need replacing while you're in there: -all other belts -lower timing cover (may be warped and hitting the pulleys/belts) -if you're adventurous, there's no better time to replace the 3 shaft seals (crank, intermediate, cam), since you'll have everything out of the way. 2. The angle doesn't matter- your enemy will be clearance... but I can't

imagine you'd have less working room than was available in the '75-'84

cars. As long as you can get a wrench on the nuts 'n bolts on the end of

the crank, you'll do fine. 3. Depends... exactly which 2.0 do you have? If it's the 3A from an Audi

80, or originally was a VW or Audi 1.8 of some sort, then you need part # 056 109 119A, which is $7 at germanautoparts.com. If it's the 2.0

from a '93-'98 VW, then you need 037 109 119C, $12.50. Tack on $15 if you plan on buying from the dealer...