Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 May 2002 19:38:13 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help!  Head replacement cost.
Comments: To: Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@ATTBI.COM>

Hi Julianna,

I've had the pleasures of being a member of the WasserLeaker's club too. My van with about 105k miles here in Rochester NY developed a cracked head between the stud and spark plug hole. It would only leak the minute the engine warmed up.

I priced things around and decided to take it to the most reputable VW repair shop that could do the job in a hurry. They were adament about using only parts from their suppliers and would not hear of Vanagain or the Bus Depot for new heads. I ended up paying $600 per head from these guys. To do that job they took the engine out of the van. So since the engine was out and with 100+ K miles I decided to invest in a new clutch as well.

I would have prefered it if these guys told me they did the best they could on the price of the parts and just make up the difference in the number of hours they charged me. I would have a better feeling that I did not get ripped off on the parts. I'm OK with paying for labor because this is a dirty job and you need all the right stuff to do it.

The total job with the parts and labor was about $2100 and I had my van back in 3 days.

So yeah I could have found a better deal using the list vendors and a different shop that would use my parts... problem was that shop had a waiting list of about a month for a major job like this. And Yeah I probably could have done this myself with a few cuss words and about a month of time when I got home from work via the public bus. So I figured my time (and agony) was more valuable and ended up paying for the job to get done in a hurry.

So $2000 for both new heads from a shop is probably a good judgment of price.

Good Luck.

Joel 89 Syncro Westy Rochester Ny. --- Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@ATTBI.COM> wrote: > Hi all, > > I have been leakin' now for a couple of years, and the power level > has been decreasing very steadily lately. I figure it is time to > change out that 3/4 head. I want to get a Tiico, but don't have > the funds for that as of yet. Bug Werks has quoted me 1100.00 to > redue the one side, including a new head, and 1700.00-1800.00 to do > them both. I am having sticker shock, and I was wondering what > the general dollar amount would be out here on the West Coast. > (Oregon to be specific) Would I be better off going to some place > in Portland? Yikes! I feel I need to take care of this in the > next week or so. I have several camping trips that are calling me > before I have this baby! (3rd in tow, due mid October) I AM > mechanically inclined, but am just learning the little stuff, so > doing it myself is a little daunting. > > Thanks everyone! > Julianna > 90 VW Vanagon Westfalia > 76 VW Automatic Bay Westfalia