Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 May 2002 00:03:05 -0500
From:         Chris Hinkle <chris_hinkle@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Headliner Removal Tips?
Comments: To: dave@sparkplug.com

Dave, Sure, I'll post my findings. There's a lot in the archives about sound-deadening stuff, but not much about headliner removal specifically.

If you haven't read it yet, a while ago I started a thread at westfalia.org about sound-dampening, which has gotten a few good replies.

In my own van, so far I've used B-Quiet Extreme to cover over the engine compartment, and under the back seat, as well as under the front carpet, and as far up under the dash as I could reach without removing it. Unfortunately, I can't tell a bit of difference, but I'm suspending judgement until I finish the whole van. I suspect I'll have to put multiple layers over the engine hump, but I'm worried that this might cause the bed to be uneven. (Obviously this won't be a problem under the back seat, so I'll probably put a lot of padding there.) I just took the sliding door apart today. It was completely rust free, and the stock insulation was still in great shape. I suppose I'll put it in plastic bags before I replace it, even though it seems to have held up really well.

When I ran out of B-Quiet last week, I looked around locally for a cheaper alternative, and found something called Peel n Seal at a roofing supply place. It looks almost exactly like B-Quiet Extreme (similar aluminum backing and all) and the guy at the store said he had sold it before to people who wanted a Dynamat alternative. I bought a 33'x12" roll for $30. This is much cheaper than even B-Quiet, but then again I haven't actually tried it yet.

Cheers,

Chris '87 Tiico Westy

From: dave bowers <dave@sparkplug.com> To: Chris Hinkle <chris_hinkle@HOTMAIL.COM> Subject: Re: Headliner Removal Tips? Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:41:26 -0700 MIME-Version: 1.0 Received: from [207.149.241.30] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBEC03BE6007C4004319CCF95F11EC8380; Thu, 30 May 2002 20:41:26 -0700 Received: from [10.0.1.35] (12.225.180.136) by sparkplug.com with ESMTP (Eudora Internet Mail Server 3.0.3) for <chris_hinkle@hotmail.com>; Thu, 30 May 2002 20:41:25 -0700 From dave@sparkplug.com Thu, 30 May 2002 20:43:07 -0700 User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/9.0.1.3108 Message-ID: <B91C3EF6.53B1%dave@sparkplug.com> In-Reply-To: <F163eqcHSsINjU8WRRW0000ce99@hotmail.com>

Hey Chris,

I have thought of doing the same thing ... would you be able to share how it goes for you? Could you share any good suggestions that might get passed on to just you?

I have a 1986 Westy and would like to absorb some of the wind/road noise that occurs. However, my 1986 might have a different headliner than yours. It's kind of a ridged cardboard feeling like material.

Anyhow, love to hear how it goes, and good luck!

dave :) 1986 Westy 'Goldie'