Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 May 2002 11:23:27 -0700
From:         Tom Naylor II <tomn@DSLEXTREME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dead cylinder....$0.25 fix!

[SNIP] ....But while I had it out, I decided to replace my one year old injector seal for the heck of it. Reassembled, fired it up, running like nothing was ever wrong.

Hello Adam,

The exact same thing happened to my '75 914 a few weeks ago. I had an injector seal fail that was nearly a year old. It was not an original Bosch seal, but a "German-made" one that was purchased locally. I subsequently replaced them all with the Bosch seals and am hoping that Bosch uses a more durable chemistry. Just out of curiosity, was the seal that failed on your injector an original or an aftermarket one?

Thanks,

Tom N.

'85 Nissan-Powered Westy '75 Porsche 914

Subject: Dead cylinder....$0.25 fix!

Wednesday I was driving my 2 liter 81 westy that i had just driven over 1200 miles this past weekend in with out a hitch.

Sudden loss of power, crappy idle....I pull over and look for the vacuum leak, none............limp it home and decide to get on it first thing Thursday morning.

First thing i check....which cylinder is dead by pulling wires off the distributor while running in the driveway. Number 2 unresponsive. Now, I had no unusual valve clatter, but popped the valve cover to look to see if the rocker backed off. Nope in place, lifters pumped. Hmmm. Take out my noid light to check for injector pulse. Yep. Blinking away. Pull spark plug (looked normal) and replaced. Still not firing. Pull plug out again and do compression test. Zero yes, zero. Shoot oil in head, still zero. Crap. I am thinking dropped valve at this point, so i pull the rockers off and all the valve stems are equal...then reassemble. At this point, I wanted to verify that the injector is actually shooting fuel, and yes it was....But while I had it out, I decided to replace my one year old injector seal for the heck of it. Reassembled, fired it up, running like nothing was ever wrong.

How bout that? Adam P

81 Vanagon Westy (The Brick) 70 Single Cab "Whitey" 74 Beetle "Ol Yeller" 73 Transporter (STILL at paint shop) 1988 Vanagon Wolfsburg Used Vanagon Parts for sale (mostly aircooled)