Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 31 May 2002 21:25:30 -0400
From:         "Karl F. Bloss" <bloss@CITYNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: living in a westy or weekender for a few months while
              traveling

We took a 6-week trip from PA to AZ and back. We spent one night in a motel, which was really a 1950's airstream trailer in Bisbee, AZ (and only because it was a cool idea). However, we did stay at volks' houses in the LiMBO TTT manual, the Westfalia.org site, and people from the Vanagon list with whom we had communicated prior to showing up. FWIW, we spent about $300 total on campground and lodging fees on the entire trip.

We did stay in campground and RV parks that had showers quite a bit, so bathing was typically not an issue. A porta potti took care of the necessary tasks, taking care to find public facilities for #2.

We found the Westy facilities to be more than adequate for the 2 adults and an infant. The baby slept in a bassinet top on the rear table while we were on the lower bed. The stuff from the back was tossed on the top bunk at night. We chose this mode of sleeping since my wife was nursing the little one and didn't have to climb down every 2-3 hours.

I maintained a web page along the way, which I'm in the process of putting back up. As of now, I don't have all the pictures uploaded yet, but the text should be there. Some of the e-mail addresses in links have changed (bloss@enter.net no longer exists):

http://members.citynet.net/bloss/vw/vwtrek/index.html

The toughest part about the web page was finding internet access along the way. Even with a proper phone line (which is a trick to find), the credit card dialing (access # plus account # plus pin # plus dialup #) is a challenge. With today's nationwide cellular plans, this might be easier.

There are some additional words about traveling in a Westy somewhere in the Phoenix, AZ write-up. I never did complete the epilogue, even though Joel Walker, with whom we stayed (and he sent us home with quite a few goodies), has complained bitterly that I didn't complete that.

-Karl