Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 00:32:10 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Some thoughts on a FAQ Proposition

I have been surprised and pleased to receive a significant number of email responses expressing enthusiasm for the FAQ upgrade proposition. I also agree that really putting together a FAQ is a stunning amount of work for any one individual. I also agree with Stan and others that there is an impressive amount of garbage in the archives along with superstition and hearsay wisdom and anecdotal observations. But there is also a hard core of good information, increasingly hard to find.

My proposition about using volunteers to take on one topic of personal interest was based on several tenets, including: 1. Some volunteers are already expert in the area. Their contribution to the group will be invaluable in any topic they choose. 2. The newbie (nubian is another topic entirely) who takes on a topic will soon become an expert in the area. Some experts have hands on experience, but many are just conversant with the literature. The archives are our literature, and the topical summary/assessment/response would be the equivalent of a solicited review paper. 3. The BS could be filtered by putting the material on the list in draft form for comment and discussion (peer review possibilities). 4. The topic writer could use any sources ... the archives surely, but the technical literature, the Bosch Automotive handbook, listees and other web sites, or their own base experience. The topic could include archive references, other web links, etc, etc. 5. I would suggest that the cognizant listee maintain responsibility for his/her contribution into the future and have the ability to edit and update as their whim may dictate. 6. Time investment for any topic could range from days to weeks. 7. Some stalwarts could take on translating some of the German VW design articles that effect us all. 8. In the end I would hope the FAQ development would contribute to content on the list and generate a new crop of informed old timers. 9. For a further example, I could see a resource similar to that maintained by the Porsche Club of America. A list is maintained of topical experts to whom you can address (email with copy to the list) a critical question to. The answers often go beyond the limits of the FAQ, but are often truly thought provoking.

OK, I would be willing to shepherd such a FAQ experiment with a less than frenetic time commitment. I would assume that this effort could take place over many months. My availability is minimal until June 7. I would suggest that the first order of business is a listing of juicy topics. Let our full community suggest topics. Each listing might start with the title: FAQ:XXXXXXX where XXXXX is a short topic ID or description. After June 7, I will collect the responses and post a list of topics for volunteers.

Now Karl Wolz's suggestion that Gary Hradek is already off on this course, may indicate that he is the best person to oversee the effort. Better than I for me! We will need to communicate here.

Anyway just a suggestion,

Frank Grunthaner