Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 12:52:45 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: IS THE LIST GETTING SMALLER?
Comments: cc: Tom Carrington <tcarrington@relitech.com>

It is the ultimate irony that this thread (and several of its offshoots, except for Ken Wilford's - thanks for the positive spin, Ken!) has itself become a perfect example of the kind of nastiness that the original poster was complaining about. This very thread, like so many other off-topic threads, has resulted in name-calling and personal attacks that have absolutely nothing to do with Vanagons.

I never cease to be amazed at the immaturity and provocational nature of some people who seem to relish turning this list into the Ricky Lake Show whenever the slightest opportunity arises. As a result, whenever the subject moves from the strict confines of Vanagon nuts-and-bolts into anything less structured, it quickly sinks to the lowest common denominator, due to the disruptive behavior of a very small minority. This is a shame, because were it not for the inability of a handful of people to hold their tongues and act like adults, there would be no reason why a subject shouldn't be able to take an off-topic turn without becoming a bar-room brawl (and without the need for an active moderator). Often, all it takes is one instigator to turn a heated but mature conversation into a fist fight. And some people seem to take pleasure in being instigators, ruining an otherwise good thing for everybody just so they can sit back and watch the fists fly (or throw a few punches themselves).

When my four year old behaves disruptively or has a temper tantrum, I give her a "time out." She is not permitted to interact with the group again until she is able to do so in a constructive and respectful manner. If her behavior is extreme, she is permanently removed from the situation. Tom has now had to stoop to doling out 30 day "time outs" to several adults on this list because they, too, were behaving like four year olds. Oddly, some persist in behaving like four year olds. By comparison, my actual four year old seems to be learning from her experience that this is not a proper way to behave.

I for one feel that we would all be better off if there were a "zero tolerance" policy toward those who use this list to provoke or attack others. This would not only remove the elements that cause most of the problems, but would also serve as a stern warning to others who might do the same. Given that 99% of the people on this list are not in that category, it seems to me that eliminating the habitual 1% would result in a list that ran much more smoothly on its own accord, without the need for active moderation on a daily basis. Ultimately, those 1% will be replaced by other, more productive members, who are now being driven away by all of the hair-pulling and shin-kicking.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT