Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 May 2002 14:50:40 EDT
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      More Musings on the Updated FAQ Proposition

Let me repeat my amazement at the number of personal email responders to my FAQ upgrade proposition who indicate that they lurk on the list but refuse to post because of the type of responses, both to the list and personally. On one hand, this is very depressing in that the tone and style of responses can inhibit a wealth of interchange. For the other side of the coin, I am excited about the true depth of the resources of this community.

But I wanted to put out a few comments in response to some suggestions by Stan and others as to the form this should take and possible media issues.

Firstly as to the Bentley organizational structure, I feel this is a good beginning as far as the technical topics go. A Bentley supplement is a major project, but should someone want to orchestrate such an effort I would clearly support it. Additions to the camping and owners manual are also very nice concepts but entail more work and commitment than I originally envisioned. Kudo's to those who will take this on!

My original model goes along the lines of Jan Vandenbrande's Archive, Racing Page and Water-cooled VW FAQ which can be found at http://www.nwlink.com/~vdb/cars.html . This collection ranges from the FAQ's proper through links, dissertations, email summaries and digests. This somewhat disorganized freeform approach was collected together by many individuals and sent to Jan for integration and posting. Now, I'm not suggesting Jan's Archive replace our archive ... leave our searchable archives in place, just provide a gleaned overlayer.

Again, my concern is to increase the level of information content in the newbie post of reoccurring issues, and to help filter BS from gold in the archive material. Of course, such filtering might lead to a minority report, but c'est la vie.

On the issue of listee and other web pages. I truly applaud the creativity, time and effort lavished on so many personal web pages with topical Vanagon and VW information. Unfortunately, individual web pages tend to disappear over time (often short time, not long time). I have a list of hundreds of dead links that I once referred to routinely. One possible solution is for such web owners to forward their material to our central resource. This more public page might survive the vagaries of ISPs better. Note that Jan's page is increasingly hard to find because of changing links.

Finally, I would support the availability of modestly priced CD's of the FAQ groups and/or the Archives, so long as the material was still available freely by electronic access. Perhaps one of our vendors could be suckered in to taking on the distribution and sales of such. The possibility of supporting our underlying technology is appealing.

Karl's comments about the sticker experiences should just remind us that the true rewards of volunteerism is only in one's own sense of accomplishment and contribution. To this end, the contributions of all to these efforts need to be recognized by binding the author/authors information to the FAQ topic generated.

Just comments and suggestions.

A note to all who have emailed in support of the FAQ proposition: Be assured that your material is gratefully acknowledged and is directed to a new folder on my desktop. I will answer ASAP following the current Martian crunch.

Frank Grunthaner