Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 6 Jun 2002 14:35:50 -0400
From:   Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:   Re: 85 Head Job Update and Question
Comments:   To: Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>

You probable have 1 ring out!

First solution if the ring is not completely out is to slowly and slightly turn the sleeve (wile pushing towards the core - 10deg left and right)) to try to get the ring back in, not much chance that will work but it's worth a try. After that, not much you can do now, if one ring is out, you are cooked.

The problem now is to get the damn rings back in, the only way is to pull both sleeve out and make or get a piston ring compressor tool. I didn't have to do so on my van so I cannot speculate how difficult this job will be but for sure you will have a hard time with the engine still in the van. Just by looking at some picture and speculating a bit I can tell you that the fist sleeve won't be a problem but the second one will be one, as you don't have much space or clearance to work whit.

If you decide to pull the sleeves, don't put new ring unless you do the same for the other side. This would result in an idle-vibration and an uneven power distribution. But if you find a good trick to get the ring back easily, you should replace the ring both side (if the other head his is still out) and have all 4-sleeves polish with (Now I would need a better English!) those spinning rock! (Sorry guys, not sure about the English term for that tool) and put new rings everywhere.

That's a stupid engine design; we have to live with it!

On all motorcycle engines I do I am able to put the ring back by hand (with another pair of hands of course) without any tools.

Be careful (if you put new rings) to respect the 120 deg angle for the 3 rings opening per piston. (if I remember right the wasser as 3 rings per piston.

Basically you should not touch the existing ring, the ring groove should be clean for residue so that imply removing the pistons!!! So forget the above statement about changing the ring.

Get some hands (friends). You will need some, Even if it's only to hold the pushrod when putting the heads back in. If I remember right, when I look inside the cylinder section of my engine I was amaze by how small was the "workable" space I would have to play with the piston ring compressor tool.

I am buying a 1984 1.9 tonight, I will disassemble this engine completely and will post all trick and procedure that I will find later on my site, I hope to be able to help a few member.

If you lived close to me I would be there tonight to give you a hand...

Good luck Dave. Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm