Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2002 20:14:10 -0500
From:         Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 Head Job Update and Question
Comments: To: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>

Thanks, Ben. I'm overwhelmed by the quantity and quality of support from list members!

I'm about to go out and confirm whether I have pulled the sleeves past the first ring by fastening a board across the outboard edge of the sleeves and putting a wrench on the pulley. If I can "gently" rock it back and forth, I might be (repeat MIGHT be) ok. If this doesn't work, I'll no doubt proceed with dropping the engine and doing a major overhaul. A fellow swab jockey in the US Navy helped me overhaul a FIAT 600 engine once -- 35 years ago. That should be all the experience I need, right? :o)

I also have my Bentley and my Haynes. I find the photographs in the Haynes to be invaluable in this instance.

By the way, Ben, the English term you may have been searching for was to have the sleeves "honed." I think this is a customary procedure when doing major work.

Thanks again for your kind assistance. Too bad you don't live in KC. I'd buy you a beer. Hell, I'd buy you a case of beer!

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA> To: <VANAGON@GERRY.VANAGON.COM>; Dave Baker <DBAKER5@KC.RR.COM> Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 1:35 PM Subject: Re: 85 Head Job Update and Question