Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 10:16:31 +1000
From:         Andrew Jack <andrewxp@AJ.DNSALIAS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hand Winch (Wench?) - Safety Warning

A hand winch is a very useful piece of kit in almost any vehicle. However, it can also be very dangerous. That nice steel cable can and will break if mistreated/overloaded. Always clear spectators from the area, wear safety goggles/gloves, stout clothing and hang a heavy blanket or such on the cable to reduce possible flyback of the cable.

It (almost) goes without saying that the cable should be kept clean and dry (or lightly oiled if appropriate for the winch) and free of kinks. It should also be inspected for any broken or frayed strands before use.

Very important is to make sure that the winch is suitably rated for the job. Cheaper winches (often look like boat trailer winches) are generally unsuitable, and I would only use a winch which has shear pins in the mechanism to avoid overloading the cable (pins shear well before cable reaches an unsafe tension).

Highly recommended are recovery equipment courses, usually run by 4WD/offroad clubs.

Then again, if Peder is actually referring to a "wench", that is a whole 'nother can of worms.......

Andrew

'92 Syncro

----- Original Message ----- From: "Peder" <pederthevwnut@MSN.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 12:03 AM Subject: Re: k&n airfilters