Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 08:37:55 -0400
From:         Tim Spotted Wolf <spottedwolf@CYBERTOURS.COM>
Subject:      84 head replacement update

Hello again! day 5....

I got both heads off.. already replaced the o'rings and head gaskets on the passenger side.. the head is back on and everything is hooked back up on that side.. so far so good.. I do not see anything wrong with the seals or head gasket so far... seemed to be fine.. I am not looking at the drivers side head. It looks great. no cracks, a little carbon..n not bad. though.. Someone put way to much sealant on this head.. it is dry but originally oozed out of the head nuts.. scraped and cleaned it all off.. it seems fine now. This morning I will pull the wrist pins (thanks the many fine people who offered advice on the best and cheapest way to do this) I used the 3/8 rod, washers, nuts and a socket idea..

I have to say this.. This job has my van all apart.. I mean there are so many things you must remove (all of them rusty or stuck in some way) I cannot believe a German engineer designed this car! hahah... The hardest thing about this job so far is the removal of all the crap that is in the way. I decided to slow down and do a few more things while I have it all apart because I do not want to have to take it apart again... LOL

I will post my progress soon... I hope the others who are doing this same job are having good luck with their heads... More later!

Tim 84 westy 74/2.0 Porsche 914 71 westy 58 bug