Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 2002 10:22:11 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: electric outlet
Comments: To: lamont@MINDSPRING.COM

In a message dated 6/1/02 12:58:30 AM Pacific Standard Time, lamont@MINDSPRING.COM writes:

<< I am thinking about installing an electrical connection in my weekender for those camping areas that provide electrical hook ups. Any ideas and or suggestions........ >>

Lamont,

If you have a Westy Weekender (the models with a poptop), you should also have an AC outlet at or near the rear cabinet. At least the twenty or so Weekenders I've seen in the past year all were so equipped. Makes me wonder if you mean a GL van with a Weekender package. Those vans are only equipped with the bench/bed, cushion, and folding back midbench. No AC outlet.

Well, if you wanted to add the equipment on, the easiest thing to do would be to buy the exterior outlet from a Westy being parted out including the circuit breaker inside next to the interior outlet. That is also probably the least expensive route. The wiring in between is what is commonly referred to as Romex. It is typically a 3 conductor wire used in house wiring. The bigger the gauge (wire thickness) the better. I sold one of these set-ups on ebay for a friend. It sold for $45.

If you want to build from scratch, you can get all the materials from your local home improvement center. Get one of those exterior outlet covers. Couple that with a plastic switch box and install it somewhere in the body where you will most likely want to connect to external power. You will then have to rig a male plug end to come out of that hole. Commercial/industrial plugs should do the trick. Get yourself enough Romex to wire the outlet where you want it. Get a suitably sized junction or circuit breaker box. Run your Romex into that. Then install a circuit breaker between the Romex and the outlet. Ask your hardware store or electrician for a proper rated breaker. The ones I took out of the last Westy being parted out was rated at 30 amps. When in doubt ask more questions. Electricity (specially AC) can be user friendly but can also kill/injure/maim if not used properly. This solution may cost you in the neighborhood of $100.

Of course, the least expensive route I can think of is an industrial strength extension cord with a built in circuit breaker. Should cost you less than $40. Hang it an open window or out of the rear hatch.

I hope that helps, BenT