Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 09:44:43 -0700
From:         Steve Johnson <stevej@WB32TV.COM>
Subject:      Re: I need a mechanic referral
Comments: To: anne dollard <ketchikanne@YAHOO.COM>

I do not know of the place you mentioned. But, I do know an extremely good, honest and professional mechanic that I would not hesitate to recommend. And he knows Vanagons. He works at a place called Specialty Auto on 74th and NE Glisan: 7411-A NE Glisan 503-256-9771. Ask for him by name, his name is Ben. Tell him Steve Johnson sent you over!

Good luck,

Steve Johnson ' 91 Carat

-----Original Message----- From: anne dollard [SMTP:ketchikanne@YAHOO.COM] Sent: Sunday, June 02, 2002 7:09 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: I need a mechanic referral

Hello. My 1986 Syncro Westfalia is currently in Portland, Oregon. I bought it up here in Alaska about 8 months ago. It's my second VW; and I must admit I did not check it out properly when I bought it. So at this time it needs complete mechanical restoration. EVERYTHING is going at once and I decided it should go no further then Portland and I left it there. At the very least I have a coolant leak(opinions have varied on whether it is a leaky gasket or cracked head), I need a new power steering pump, my exhaust system is shot, and I have developed a new rattle(gulp) in the shifter. I am afraid the transmission has issues. But the body and interior are great! I already have too much money into it and have decided to get it restored. My question to the list is this:

I have located a VW mechanic in Sandy, Oregon(about 40 miles east of Portland and near where I am keeping it). His place is called Pat's Imports(although his name is Bob), he is way out in the country. He replaced the muffler for me and seemed very good about telling me anything else he noticed. He has been in the business since 1963. He seems pretty old but he has a younger helper. He is the first mechanic that reccommended rebuilding the engine himself instead of a new long block. He felt this was a better way and it is also less exspensive then what I have been told for the new long block. Since this is a huge committment once I decide who to go to; I was hoping someone out there knew of his shop and could lean me one way or another about it. Also any opinions about the rebuild vs replace the long block concept would be appreciated. I am not at all mechanical so please speak in simple terms for me.

Thanks so much, sorry this is long.

Anne