Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 16:46:30 -0000
From:         Cooper John LCDR ALCOM/J322 <John.Cooper@ELMENDORF.AF.MIL>
Subject:      SYNCRO TRANSMISSION SEAL

This list probably saved me my transmission! There has been some talk recently about list shrinkage, dissatisfaction, and non-vanagon content. Well, hang in there. I am prepping my Syncro for a trip down the Alaskan Highway to Canada this weekend. Last week I discovered the driveshaft transaxle seal on front of my transaxle was leaking. For those of you who are not syncro owners, that is where the driveshaft exits the front of the transmission going forward to the front axle. I needed to take care of it this weekend to travel next week. When I called the FLAPS they told me the seal was a dealer part. When I contacted the dealer, they tried to tell me it was part 113 311 113A. I posed a question to the list, because this didn't make sense to me. Perhaps VW used the same seal on the input and output shafts, but, I didn't think so. The European ETKA CD I purchased from a listee a couple of years back, showed part number 094 113 189 for the forward diff seal, but I could not find the rear driveshaft seal on the CD. So, I contacted AA Transaxle, on the vendor links page, and asked. 094 113 189 is used on both ends of the driveshaft. He had two, and would ship me one if I wanted. I ended up purchasing it locally, but really appreciated the help. Then I started looking for gear oil. I did a couple of e-mail searches of the archives, and found several lively discussions. I wanted to put synthetic oil in my tranny, but after the discussions I found that only a couple were not GL-5, Amsoil, and Red Line. Neither is available locally in Anchorage Alaska. So, I marched to THREE DIFFERENT FLAPS. All three tried to tell me that their brands of oil marked GL-5, GL-4, GL-3... were all compatible with my needs. "When the new specs come out the oils are automatically compatible with the older specs." Armed with knowledge that this list gave me, I stuck to my guns, and one of the stores had a GL-4 oil manufactured by CRC that SPECIFICALLY mentioned that it was safe for use with transmissions with bronze or other yellow metal parts. Bottom line, if I had not had the resources of this list I would have purchased the wrong seal, and probably ruined my transaxle with an incompatible gear oil. I too get tired of reading about the occasional rantings and ravings about this and that. Hey I get that off talk radio. But, there are some great resources available on this list that certainly justify my participation. And, if I don't post very often, it is because I found the answers to my questions already in the archives. Go Navy! John Cooper '87 Syncro Westfalia.