Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 2002 09:33:35 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: vanagons in a rollover accident?
Comments: To: Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>

>Slightly off topic, but I have rolled two VW's in my days. As a >highschool student in 1967 or 8, I flipped a 61 beetle 5 full >revolutions(175') after losing contol on a snow slick 4 lane road and >hitting a median curb. The dome roof of the beetle never mashed down any >lower than shoulder high, but I had to crawl out the back window as the >doors ere crimped shut. Gas had leaked on to my clothes somehow >also. Speed was over 50 mph, and I wasn't buckled in.

"Other roll was a 64 Karman Ghia(major rust bucket) I flipped when the outside rear tire popped going around a sharp curve at highway speeds. only rolled this one twice as it ran in the grassy ditch, but the roof was flat against the front and rear hoods and getting out was more of a chore. Two cases in point to back up the saying"God takes care of the totally ignorant" Good thing they require you to wear a seat belt these days, or I still might not be wearing them. Well, that's not true, I have grown up a little since then and learned how to roll model for my kids. $150 fines get my attention too.

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel