Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:33:33 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW of Canada motors
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brent Christensen wrote:

> I have had one installed for about 70,000 miles, with no problems so far > other than a bit of oil consumption (typical of WBX motors AFAIK) - about a > quart every 900 to 1,500 miles. IT was installed by the dealer where the > van was originally purchased, and had to be redone once after the first > engine was in for only a few hundred miles. Since then, though it has run > like a champ. > > I expect my water pump will now blow, since I had to audacity to post > this.... ;-)

Interesting, your experience with this Canadian WBX.

When I bought my 88 GL, it had 86,000 on it. Then the engine blew at around 90,000. Burned clear through the top of the piston on #3. Imagine my surprise when the engine was pulled and there was a yellow tag on the case that read "Remanufactured by VW of Canada"!! What was a Canadian Remanufactured enginedoing in a van with only 90K on it. What happened to the original engine? What did the PO do/not doto warrant an engine change at such a young vehicle age?

After having owned the van a while I found evidence that pointed to severe use, and minimum/miserable/no maintenance, but never actual proof.

Anyway, here I was with a van that was about to get its third engine, and it still had less than 100K on it.

Well, anyway, I got a new engine from a local rebuilder. Name of Jim Connor, and he was an old timer with the flat four engines. Price was good, and I could keep the old one, so the deal was done. The only trouble I have had with any part of the engine was a leaky rear seal. Cheap parts, but a pain in the butt to fix because the tranny had to be pulled. Over all, I'm happy with the new engine. It's got about 30K on it now and just minimal problems, and those were not specific to the engine itself, but were accessory related.....oil pressure switch, Temp II thermocouple., etc.

Only just recently have I begun to have the slightest intermittant jerking when cruising. Haven't figured it out yet, but hopefully the list can help.

I plan to use my failed Canadian Rebuilt as a basis to build an engine following the Lilley principles. It will become my spare. One day I will pop the old one out and shovel in the lilley engine.

Good luck with yours.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver