Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 15:37:02 -0400
From:         Derek Drew <derekdrew@RCN.COM>
Subject:      About My Coolant Heater At 40 Below Zero

I m not an active member of the list, but my brother Derek Drew forwarded your question to me. I had a Webasto coolant heater installed in my 87 Syncro Westy two years ago. The little control panel for it on my dashboard is identical to the little control panel that appears in one of the photographs in my manual evidence that it is the same heater installed by VW in some markets.

I bought the heater from Ark Mirvis (I think his e-mail address is heaterman.net, and his Web site is easy to find with a google search). Dennis Haynes installed it. Your questions: 1) Without the engine running: How long does it take before you can get warm air blowing?

ANSWER: It all depends on how cold it is outside, because the device heats up the coolant to a certain temperature before it starts blowing warm air inside the vehicle. At 30 degrees below zero (I live in Fairbanks, Alaska), I ran (there s a reason for the past tense; I ll explain below) the Webasto for about half an hour at the end of my work day and then found the car warming up inside. The thing has a timer so you can set it to fire up on its own at two different times of the day. I never took my coat off for the short ride to wherever I was going next, so I can t say it got toasty, but there was definite warmth. I was not cold.

How warm does the air blow?

ANSWER: Again, this is all relative to how cold it is outside. I did some testing of the Webasto at a campground when it was about 20 or 30 degrees out, and quite a gush of warm air came out. I even had the top up, so of course a lot of the warmth was going right out the canvas, but down below it was markedly warmer.

I never actually gauged the temperature, so I don t know if this is much help. My basic message is: The Webasto works! And in extreme cold, it wonderfully babies the engine up to a starting temperature. One sound you never want to hear is that of your camper s engine doing a cold start at 40 below zero.

That brings me to the reason for the past tense. This winter was colder here than last winter, and somewhere around 40 below, the Webasto simply stopped firing up. Forty below is the temperature at which absolutely ALL moisture freezes and also seems to be the temperature at which weird things start happening to other materials. The current, but not definitive, diagnosis is that there was a tiny bit of moisture in the device, and in the extreme cold somehow the electronics got ruined. Right now my Webasto is disconnected. I hope to find someone here who can figure this out for sure.

Also keep in mind two other possible drawbacks: 1) It s a little noisy, although I found that I couldn t care less about the noise when I wanted to get warm. 2) It s set to only run for an hour at a time (I don t know if this can be changed). 3) I would be nervous about sleeping with it on because of possible carbon monoxide, but of course with the timer you can set it to start up well before you have to exit your sleeping bag.

Good luck. Feel free to e-mail me with more questions. lisadrew@aol.com