Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:25:04 -0700
From:         John Dagastino <themisanthropicmeanie@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Unknown plug in engine bay
Comments: To: "Thompson, Michael" <METhompson@GOLDER.COM>

methinks it's the top dead center sensor.

doesn't do *anything* while the engine isn't being worked on.

trace the wire back to where it originates. the TDC sensor wire sticks into the flange where the engine meets the transmission.

that's the only 3 pin round plug i know of.

all the vanagons are fuel injected, right? usually when an injected engine has an unplugged wire that *does something* the engine 'd run like crap.

--- "Thompson, Michael" <METhompson@GOLDER.COM> wrote: > Dear List > > I have an unknown 3-pin round plug in my 1981 > Aircooled Westy engine bay > that is not attached to anything. It is beige > colored and originates from > the front of the engine and goes over towards the > alternator. It is not > connected to anything. Any ideas? > > Also, my exhaust gas recirculation 'box' is missing > - looks like it was > removed with a rotten exhaust in the past. Will > this have any effect on > performance? We do not have emissions in Calgary so > that is not a problem. > > Also, the engine seems to be running rich. No smell > of gas, but uses a lot > of fuel (about 12-15 miles to gallon). Is this > exceptionally bad? > > Thanks in advance > Michael > 1981 Westy 'Daisy'

===== "Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy. " - H. L. Mencken "Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world." -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden More Quotation fun @ http://nerddom.8m.com/quotes.html