Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:38:59 -0500
From:         "Filcoff, David M." <FilcoffD@MISSOURI.EDU>
Subject:      Vanagon repairs completed, S.A. bull bar installed

A while ago I posted some photos of the repairs on my '87 Wolfsburg after a front end collision. The repairs are complete and a S.A. bull bar and turn signals (from Tiico) were installed. I'll be at the June Bug '02 show in Springfield, MO this weekend with the Vanagon, see you there.

If you look at the photos throughout the process you will notice that the seams from below the upper grill to the bumper were welded shut. I'm going to give this a try to see if it minimizes seam rust. No seam no rust? If it does rust from the inside out, like they normally do, there will be a lot more metal to come through. I thought it would look better as well, I'm very happy with how it turned out.

A note on the S.A. bull bar from Tiico; The bar mounted very easily, considering it weighs about 70 lbs. After managing to lift up high enough to bolt it on this went very smoothly. I put a blanket over the bumper and nose just in case the bar hit anything during the install. The only modifications I had to make to the Vanagon was to cut notches in the chin spoiler. There are some shots of the bar in the 06/04 photos.

http://www.251.org/vgon_dent.html

Dave 251.org '87 Vanagon GL Wolfsburg '61 Microbus '88 GTI 16v