Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 2002 08:39:37 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FAQ Site Basic Instructions
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>

Stan:

I realize I am chiming in late on this subject - great idea! I have a comment about the representation of part numbers. Most places (inlcuding parts houses and the dealers themselves) represent these part numbers as three sets of three numbers with a space between them: "251 407 361"

This gets tricky if there is a letter designator at the end. Many parts searches will simply drop this last alpha character. I would suggest that it be used with or without a space, since a search for "251 407 361" would also turn up "251 407 361A"

The reason I bring up this point is that let's face it, most people won't read the directions, and will use the convention that is most common. It is by suggestion that the more common convention uses spaces. Therefore, the explicit instructions should probably follow the common convention.

My $0.02

Brent Christensen

----- Original Message ----- From: "Stan Wilder" <wilden1@JUNO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, June 03, 2002 8:03 AM Subject: FAQ Site Basic Instructions