Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:44:15 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: FAQ Site More Info
Comments: To: albell@uvic.ca
Comments: cc: FrankGRUN@aol.com

We're hoping that each person that has content will step forward and post their content to the FAQ site. Many List members currently have their own web pages with excellent content that we'd like to incorporate into this site. If each member will search the archives and clean their own posts and submit them as text pages it will be a big help. In addition we're hoping to have the full site in a ZIP format that List Members can download and burn a CD on. Some have requested this. If the site is properly prepared you should just type in the part number of your water pump and get all relevant FAQ and Tips and Tricks in one search procedure. The Front Index will be based on the Bentleys Index so it could be searched that way as well if the page submitted has the Bentley section noted on the page. I've set up a temporary site with 2 megs of space that will shrink very quickly with the posting of pictures with the information pages. Ultimately we'll need about three gigs of web space. The concept of FAQ for newbies and even old hands using information from the Vanagon archives isn't supposed to effect the standard Vanagon List Site. Hopefully it'll just clean the bull shit from the archives and give users the freedom to avoid my sarcastic humor as well as the vendor bashing, racist bashing and chit chat that makes searching the Vanagon archives so difficult. The basic instructions, as I perceive them, are at the new temporary site. All things are subject to change and I'll gladly accept any changes that are submitted. I'll admit that there are many possible improvements to what I've suggested and started rolling on, I'm willing to listen and work with all interested parties. Brent has suggested this and I must agree with him: This gets tricky if there is a letter designator at the end. Many parts searches will simply drop this last alpha character. I would suggest that it be used with or without a space, since a search for "251 407 361" would also turn up "251 407 361A" In response it comes down to the user placing an * at the end of his part number. This should yield the proper search results.

Stan Wilder

On Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:39:55 -0700 Alistair Bell <albell@uvic.ca> writes: > Stan et al, > > I am a little unclear on the concept... > > Have you assigned subjects to contributors? > > and > > Are you proposing we layout the FAQ using the Bentley as a > guide/format > model? Its is unclear for the instruction page seems to indicate > that but > your example page does not. > > > > > Alistair > > > > on 3/6/02 8:03 AM, Stan Wilder wrote: > > > The site below has some basic instructions for uploading and > building > > your contribution to the Vanagon FAQ site. > > > > http://www.blackhead.netfirms.com/www/example.htm > > > > ________________________________________________________________ > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > > > >