Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jun 2002 23:29:22 -0500
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      More Car & Driver coolant stuff ... :)

from the July 2002 issue of Car and Driver.

Patrick Bedard

Dr. Turcotte writes a few coolant presciptions.

First, do no harm. Medical doctors live by that rule, at least the good ones. And to my great reassurance, so does Dr. David Turcotte, the good-humored antifreeze guru at Zerex.

I asked him to write a presciption for keeper cars, those wheeled time capsules some of us have around for sunny days and reliving the motoring moods of the past. As cars go, anything older than 20 years is a geriatric case. They were made for a world that no longer exists. That's what makes them so interesting.

It also presents problems. In many instances, they've outlived their factory-recommended care instructions. You can't get those old tires, oils, and fluids anymore.

As a guy living in Lipitor Lane, new doses for old vitals sounds like an opportunity to me. So I asked the doctor what he would recommend for geriatric cooling systems. Corrosion is my big worry. Minimal upkeep would brighten my weekends, too.

No one, it turns out, likes maintenance less than long-haul diesel truckers. Turcotte told me about Zerex Extended Life. This red juice is designed to go full-strength into truck radiators. Do nothing for the first 300,000 miles or three years. Then throw in another whack of inhibitors, a quart of Zerex Extended Life Extender, and run another 300,000 miles, at which point the engine is probably scheduled for a full tear-down.

This product is labeled "heavy duty", which is the supply chain's term for diesel use. HD motor oils are intended for diesels also.

"This would be absolutely the most bulletproof thing I could suggest", he says. "We're pushing it 500,000 miles in our fleet work, and we still haven't found the point where it's no good."

But he was reluctant to recommend it for broad use in cars just yet. "In another five years, if things go as we expect, I can probably tell you this is a better fluid."

For now, his choice for cars "as old as we're likely to find" is Zerex G-05. "I've got a 20-year history that says this really works."

Zerex does most of its business with new-car manufacturers, developing antifreeze for the industry's evolving needs and supplying the assembly plants. G-05 started off as an "exotic European fluid." VW changed to it early, followed by more companies, including Mercedes for both gas and diesel engines. Now it's becoming the everyday American factory fill for Daimler-Chrysler and Ford, who serve it up as a "long life" coolant good for five years/100,000 miles.

Turcotte says G-05 is less radical than Extended Life, and it's backward and forward compatible, which means it can be mixed with green conventional antifreeze or the latest inorganic types. It's particularly well-suited to keeper cars, he thinks, because of the way it combats the sort of corrosion that comes with being a garage potato.

All the antifreezes I know have one side effect that's troubling for a few of our special cars. Ethylene glycol, which makes up 96 percent of what's in the bottle, has about half the heat- transfer capability of plain water. So when you mix antifreeze and water in the recommended 50-50 proportions, you give up a quarter of your system's cooling capacity. No problem for new cars; they're engineered with capacity to spare. But I remember British roadsters of the '50s and '60s that would boil on the streets of New York in the summer, and street rods are notorious for overheating. You could cure the cooling problems of those cars by circulating plain water through the system.

Most NASCAR racers do that. But corrosion sets in amazingly fast. Turcotte showed me a sample of coolant that had run 35 laps. It had flakes of red snow swirling through it ... rust. I've seen similar rapid rusting when I've used plain water to leak-check a rebuilt engine.

Another approach: Increase the proportion of water in your mix, thereby trimming back both freeze and corrosion protection to gain heat transfer. Turcotte agrees that's a possibility, and he says he tests with dilutions down to 25 and 16 percent. "They survive", he says. Still, his do-no-harm approach shies from any antifreeze proportion below 40 percent.

Our conventional 50-50 mix is a one-size-fits-all solution to an American reality: ANY car might drive to ANY North American location. So they all go out the factory door with enough ethylene glycol for freeze protection down to minus-34 degrees F. Antifreeze makers blend in the inhibitor dose assuming that we in the replacement market will dilute similarly. Other countries follow different conventions. In the tropics, where cooling is the top-most issue, the inhibitors are sometimes blended up to 10:1 dilution.

Ideally, you could completely separate the freeze protection from the corrosion protection. Fact is, many special cars don't go out in freezing weather, particularly those Sunbelt residents that also fact the greatest threat of summer ... overheating.

For them, Zerex Racing Super Coolant sounds ideal. It was developed for attack boats used by Navy Seals. They operate in tropcial waters too warm to give sufficient engine cooling when you add in the inefficiency of ethylene glycol. Super Coolant contains inhibitors only ... special antifoaming agents and protection during boiling ... Turcotte says, and it's compatible with aluminum, iron, and other materials common in older cars.

Imagine boosting the effectiveness of your cooling system 25 percent simply by changing the radiator fluid.

Now the bad news: These aren't products waiting for you at Wal-Mart. Zerex Extended Life is serious trucker stuff sold through appropriate channels.

Zerex G-05 is still trying to find retail shelf space. It's the usual aftermarket story in which a product that will someday be as ordinary as pocket lint has to struggle for a toehold because, so far, it has no track record. Volume retailers shun products that might turn into shelf scenery.

But demand is coming. Daimler-Chrysler changed to G-05 in 2000, and Ford began converting in 2001. Until now, you had to buy the replacement over the dealer parts counter, at a stiff markup ($12.50 per gallon at Ford). As the volume of needy cars on the road approaches a level that justifies a mass-market replacement, Zerex is launching G-05 under its own label. Expect to pay five to seven dollars at Autozone and Checker's.

For Zerex Racing Super Coolant, call 800-TEAMVAL. Voices on the other end will know about G-50, too.

I have no personal experience with any of these products. But I do have a coupe that stays in the garage during July and August for just one reason: If it gets caught in stop-and-go traffic, I know it'll cook. Would I trade off freeze protection to gain two months of summer fan? In a femtosecond.