Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2002 00:24:14 -0500
From:         "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re: A/C Advice Needed -- not long
Comments: To: Paul Mayfield <paulmayfield@EARTHLINK.NET>

Paul,

Not only does the 134 not cool as well, it runs at higher pressure's and can cause premature leaks--at all the sealing area's.

Not one of my favorite choices for an AC recharge---

I pesonally like 409-A because it is totaly compatible with R-12--and cools very well, with zero penelties--

One miniscule problem---you have to have a license to purchase it, and it is $200.00 for a 30 lbs.bottle----

Later,

Terry

E-mail message

I needed a AC recharge last week, so I called around I live in Palo Alto, CA the cost for a pound of freon ranged from $59 to $79 /lb! and the servicing charge was $59-199!!! They all said they couldn't fill it up unless they found the source of any leaks, that could cost several hundred to replace o rings, to much more, depending on the size of my wallet. I was going to Fresno that weekend and called some shops there: I found a shop that charges $39/lb freon, and $29 for service The system took about 3 lbs, total cost was about $150 So don't get *%&$#, call around! I was told converting to 134 would not provide satisfactory cooling, it's not as efficient as freon. Has anyone converted, and what were the results? With 134 couldn't you recharge it yourself at a lower cost/lb. Re: A/C Advice Needed -- Kind of Long Ray, I think it's about time you buy yourself an AC book from your local Snap on dealer, and start reading---- $2400.00 dollars for basicly nothing is what I'm reading here---- AC is not complicated, or difficult to maintain or repair---just a little common sense and the time to do it is all thats required--- You could get most of all the tools required to perform all the stuff these guys did, for a mere pittance of what they charged you the first time--and are trying to charge you again--- Ebay is the place to look for some good deals on AC stuff---