Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:39:24 -0700
From:         "Thomas D. Hanlon" <hanran@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Installed new clutch,
              "used-in-good-condition,recently-rebuilt transmission, and, now,
              "no start."
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>,
          mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

Stan, Mark,

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate your generosity in contributing as much as you do to the List.

The starter was DOA at the testing station at Autozone. It drew 150 amps, excess enough over specifications sayeth the AZ "visiting supervisor," to diagnose is as in need of replacement. A "life time replacement rebuilt" Bosch is $120, net. It will be delivered in the morning.

The "recently-rebuilt," according to the PO,. transmission appears to be a suspect, too. The selector arm at the case is "wobbly," a technical term, and it is loose, unlike the arm on the transmission I uninstalled, since it appeared to make better sense to replace the OEM transmission with a "recently-rebuilt" one. I'll research the options on that item, too. To your knowledge, is there a bushing that can be replaced, externally, without opening the case, or is there another temporary fix until I can package a transmission for Darryl at AA Transmission?

BTW, I did replace the pilot bearing. I've ordered, also, the new starter bushing, which is installed in the bell housing.

Regards,

Tom Hanlon Palm Springs, CA 84 Westfalia