Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:02:42 -0500
From:         "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      The Saga Continues --Dysfunctional Mike Miller moves on---

What a morning---

I run over to VW and pick up the shocks Mike claimed he needed, and met him close to work, to see what is happening with his Van---

He drives over by me, jumps out of his Westy, and proceeds to jump up on his front bumper---and the Van isn't moving--it is solid as though it didn't have any suspension----like the shocks were locked up---and because he had stopped somewhere in Indiana, to have his tires rotated, and the guy there told him his shocks were locked----

His front tires were wearing out on the inside edge pretty bad----so he had them rotated---and gained some wisdom from a mad man-----

Ok --I get the van to the shop, jack up the front end, remove the tires---and proceed to take off the L/H shock-- Nothing wrong with it--it's as new---

He has all new control arm bushings, new tie rod ends, and new ball joints--I'm impressed---

I out the shock back up into the spring--it won't extend to the length of the spring--- so I take another jack---and try and shove up the lower control arm----it doesn't move--

So I put the R/H tire and wheel back on, drop the van so that wheel is just touching the pavement--and then jack up the L/H control arm----it didn't want to budge--but I gave it another tweak and it moved up enough so I could get the top nut just started--

I put that wheel back on, and drop the van to the ground----and take a visual on the front tires and wheels, and the right wheel is cranked out at the top--and out in front of the tire, so it is plowing---

I tell him that someone in Sacramento, screwed up the alignment process bad--and I thing that they tweaked the upper control arms, when they pressed in the bushings---cause the front end is binding---it won't bounce hardly at all---

I take him to 3 different shops, trying at least to get his front end straight--no one had the time, or they just said----A Vanagon?--- nope sorry--- Its Saturday---no one wants to get stuck with this thing at noon---

He has this Van so overloaded I can't see how the poor thing is moving--and believe he has 3 or 4 people riding with him---Ouch--!!!!

The poor thing was laying down in the rear pretty good--I say "Mikey---why didn't you put Air Lifts into this thing ?"

He says--"I did"

But he only has 15 Lbs. in one, and 20 in the other---

I told him to put 30 pounds in each, so at least the Van sat level---

So anyway, I Had Mikey follow me to the Tollway to Chicago, to get back to his entourage, and as I pointed to the right ramp--he was thumbs up, and eastbound and gone---

Another deal---

He may have to stop and get some more tires on the way home--or find a place somewhere on the way back during the week, that can dial his front end in---

Kinda feel sorry for the guy----:>(

Anyway,I did what I could do, at the drop of a hat---

Happy Trails to You Mikey---:>)

Later,

Terry--

http://community.webtv.net/CTONLINE/TerrysHighOnLife