Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:44:02 -0400
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Re-wiring doors (power windows, etc)
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

I'm in the middle of doing this very thing and taking photos as I go. Finding matching wire - particularly the colored wire with stripes has been something I have not had success with. If anyone has any resources, please post.

Here is what I had found out so far. 1.) Make sure your windows are UP if you have power windows. 2.) Dissconnect battery 3.) Remove the fusebox from its mounts (but don't unplug anything) 4.) You can now access all the plugs from the door wires. Label the connectors and unplug. 5.) Cut the wire ties holding the harness to the door, label and disconnect the connectors. 6.) Thread the harness out the door. Slowly. You may have to play with getting the connectors through, but you can do them all without cutting any wires. 7.) Examine the wires. You will find most are broken in the first 12." 8.) IMHO you are better off replacing the whole wire than just patching it with connectors. 9.) I'm going to try adding a nylon mesh covering over the wires - like sold at speed shops for hose dressing - the idea that this will make it easier to keep the wires together and give them a little more "slip"

That's what I have so far.

Oh, I'd do one side at a time - that way you always have the opposite side connected as an emergency reference.

Todd '88 Westy