Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:54:21 -0400
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Weird TiiCo behavior

Hi- Here in the Northeast today is our first real hazy, hot, humid day of the summer. About an hour ago (midday) I exited an old parkway with characteristic hairpin exits. I braked pretty hard and cornered (right) pretty hard. At the stop the engine stumbled and felt kind of flat, I looked in the mirror and saw a cloud of blue smoke. I poked the throttle, more blue smoke. I pulled over checked all the gauges, water temp: warm but OK, oil temp (VDO), 220F, Oil press. @ 25 psi (normal at idle for this engine). Slowly the engine began to run better, and the smoke diminished. I decided to go slowly to a parking area that I could see so that I could check everything out. Opened the engine hatch, everything fine. Sounds fine, no leaks. Checked the oil level, clean and normal level. I'm thinking that possibly the combination of warm weather causing thinned oil along with my new rear anti-roll bar causing higher cornering "g's" may have sloshed oil across a sump vent hose connecting to the intake manifold. Under a high vacuum deceleration, maybe it sucked in a big gulp of oil. I haven't looked to try to find one, but this is the only way that I can think that oil would get into the combustion chamber on an otherwise solid engine. Maybe another aspect of I4 installation in a Vanagon that's not quite perfect. Should I be installing a windage tray as others have done?

Gary