Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 2002 11:25:52 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Throttle switches
Comments: To: "joe@cedar.net" <joe@CEDAR.NET>

At 11:14 AM 6/6/2002, joe@cedar.net wrote: >What do these switches actually do to the fuel system when >activated?

The switches are in parallel (actually only one switch starting in '85 sometime). They/it close at both closed throttle and WOT (Wide Open Throttle); otherwise open.

>The throttle closed idle switch on mine is essentially out of >the circuit. It appears that it is intended to be >activated/closed when the throttle is closed,

correct.

>however at idle >with this switch closed I get surging--back the adjuster screw >out so the switch is no activated and it idles OK.

It would seem that your idle is set too high? The action of this switch is to shut off the fuel injectors whenever the rpm rises above 1500. If you were to coast down a long mountain with your foot off the gas, the engine would be cold at the bottom...

The other end -- WOT -- causes the ECU to go into open-loop mode and enrich the mixture for full-throttle operation.

> This seems >backwards to me as in order for the engine to idle the switch is >noit activated, nor is it activated when accelerating.

Acceleration enrichment is actually taken care of by the over-swing of the AFM vane. Another small point -- this switch provides information, not power control. You gain the same amount of information by opening the switch as by closing it, IOW the VW engineers chose the operation mode for mechanical convenience and fail-safe -- no drastic problem if it fails open, but hard to run the motor if it fails short, which is much less likely.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"