Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jun 2002 15:19:03 -0700
From:         Katherine Lee <katydid@TELUS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pop top canvas repair

How big is the tear?

If it's a small one, here's a suggestion. This week I repaired a tiny hole in the canvas of my Westy's pop top. I thought about ironing a patch over the hole from the inside of the top, but decided instead to try this first: I applied a product called "Freesole", used commonly to repair holes in shoes and to reglue soles which have separated from the shoe. I've used it before on fabrics and clothing to patch small holes and tears (to prevent the holes from fraying) with good success. It will even last through machine washings. Unfortunately, this is a toxic, tolulene-based compound. But definitely waterproof when dried, and perhaps less noticeable than a large patch (which I will try next if the Freesole by chance does not work).

If you try something like this, definitely make sure the area to be patched is clean and dry. Smooth out the Freesole as you apply it because when it dries, it'll dry as is, bumps and all. And ensure that you let the product dry fully before closing and opening the top repeatedly.

Are you thinking of the beeswax for the tear or for the zipper? If it's for the tear, my thought about the beeswax is that it's also water-resistant, but it will definitely change the colour of the fabric. My partner puts beeswax onto his hiking boots and it changes the colour and the texture quite noticeably. Also, I'm not sure how long the beeswax will stand up to constant flexing and stretching, which is what the canvas top is subject to.

Katherine