Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2002 09:36:25 +0200
From:         Robert Steven Fish <fish@SALZBURG.CO.AT>
Subject:      Re: ground straps
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

snipped ---- > > Is it ok to replace the braded ground straps with a batery like cable ? > >In perticular the one to the left of the engine.

> ps -- short answer -- not a good idea. You can certainly get away with it > in emergency. end snipped ------

I learn something new almost everytime I look at this list.

I replaced my engine to chassis ground with a length of 1/2 inch MONSTER CABLE. It is sold at steroe shops as a high-end speaker cable. The cable is soft copper, and is made up of about a thousand single strands (no, they are NOT all individually insulated).

If you buy the gold plated connectors, then you can crimp the heck out of them, and then solder to finalize the connection. I left the insulation on the cable except where I put the connectors on. Clean all the metal that is involved, make sure your ground screws are also clean, and tight. Then afterwards, you can coat with a battery terminal spray or gel.

I have this set-up on my 87 Vanagon, and it seems to work great. I have also run an additional ground from the battery to the front, next to the horn. I attached all the ground wires from my rewired and relayed high beams, low beams, and driving lights there so I wouldn't have to route them back inside the car (also less wire = cheaper).

I would be very interested to know more about this RF situation, as I have never heard anything like it before (granted, I am not an electronics expert). I thought that you simply needed to provide a way for the circuit to close, and if surface area was needed for anything, the entire chassis would provide quite a lot of area... right? Radio waves???

Thanks for the info!

RSF

Robert S. Fish Salzburg, Austria 1987 Wolfsburg Vanagon 2.1 GL Weekender 1987 Golf Cabriolet 1991 Golf