Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2002 15:29:31 -0600
From:         Ben McCafferty <ben@KBMC.NET>
Subject:      UPS fees was: Re: Canadians beware! UPS are a bunch of crooks
              [adr]
Comments: To: The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>

Well, I did some digging around. As Ron pointed out, the expedited services include routine clearance, and are much higher. I did a quote for a 10 pound box from CO to Vancouver, and it was around US$15 via standard (ground) without clearance, or about $60 for expedited service (air) with clearance. I don't know what Canadian law says, but in the US, every citizen has the right to represent themselves at US Customs, and to clear their own freight into the US territory. With that in mind, an importer could have something sent from Canada via UPS and decline their brokerage service, and go through the various forms for entry and duty payment on their own. Not a fun thing, unless you know what you're doing.

On ups.com, everywhere I looked at international shipments, they clearly said whether routine clearance is included or not. For U.S. importers, there is a nice section on definitions for various things related to import (bonds, duty, live entry, etc.).

I called their customer service number, and asked what it would cost me for clearance into Canada from the U.S., and here's what I got, for those of you considering shipments to Canada (or from the U.S., as the case may be).

You need three pieces of information: Value of the shipment, Duty Rate (you can call 506-877-4878 to get the Canadian duty rate for something), and GST rate (usually 7%).

Take Value and multiply by Duty Rate. This gives the amount of duty you will owe. Add Duty and Value, and multiply the result by GST rate. This gives the amount of GST you will owe. For Entry Preparation (clearance/brokerage), take the Value only and apply the following table: VALUE Entry Prep Fee CAD$.01-40 CAD$6.25 40.01-100 16.75 100.01-200 23.25 200.01-350 30.00 350.01-500 34.00 500.01-750 38.25 750.01-1000 43.25 1000.01-1250 48.50 1250.01-1600 51.50 1600.01-5000 54.00 Every additional 1000.00 value adds 3.75 to the entry fee

To get your total, add Shipping Cost, Value, Duty, GST, and Entry Prep fee. If there are any abnormal aspects to your shipment (it requires extra forms, inspections, etc.) there would be additional charges.

This morning, I had said to 80 Westy Pokey that clearance charges don't change by value, but obviously in the UPS world they do, so that doesn't hold in this case. But this hopefully gives a clearer picture of what you can expect from UPS in this regard. FedEx is probably similar, but I didn't take the time to call them.

These charges are not something that they can legally hide, but you do have to know what questions to ask, I guess. I think it's just a somewhat mysterious topic since it's not something most people deal with every day.

What ever happened to NAFTA, anyway????

bmc :) "Faith will move mountains, but you'd better bring a shovel...."