Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 2002 23:12:31 -0400
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      * $199 *  Side Tents  - $69 Awnings!

For years, I and other people who use a side tent on our campers have been singing their praises. They double your available space, giving you a place to spread out your stuff so you're not trying to fit both youselves and all of your belongings inside your Vanagon when you camp. They're great for kids. And they're a godsend if it rains. My family uses our all the time. But it's expensive and bulky to carry around; mine takes up most of the space above the engine compartment in my Westy when it's packed up, and at about $600 it was a heck of an investment. Understandably, a lot of people feel that they just don't need one badly enough to justify the cost and the loss of storage space.

This tent is just $199, and INCLUDES a sleeping cabin (which normally sells for $100 by itself). This is literally half the price of the next cheapest alternative. And it hardly takes up any space at all when torn down.

It's big - 9 x 10 feet when assembled - yet it packs down to only 10 x 30 inches (and fits in its own bag). Two sections can be raised to form awnings. There are zippered flaps with mosquito screens for ventilation. Its domed roof prevents rain from collecting on the roof. Like other side tents, it attaches to your bus's rain gutter via a pole that sits in the gutter and clamps that hold the pole in place. So there's no need to mount anything permanently to your bus. There is a zippered door to enter the tent, and another that allows you to access the sliding door of your bus. If you drive away from the campsite, just zip that door shut and it becomes a free-standing tent while you're gone.

Like most European tents, it doesn't have a floor. But a separate sleeping cabin clips into the interior of the tent, turning part of the interior into a fully enclosed "tent within a tent" (complete with a floor, for sleeping, changing, etc.). This, too, has mosquito netting, as well as sewn-in pockets for stashing small items. Whereas the sleeping cabin is a $100 option with most tents, it's INCLUDED with this one.

This tent was designed by Just Kampers in the UK specifically for VW Busses and Vanagons; it's not a generic "van tent." We and Just Kampers went in on it together, and the volume savings are what made this price possible. The $199 price will probably go up at some point, but I'm starting the first shipment at a cheap price in order to recop most of my initial costs.

Is this as good as a $500 or $600 tent? No. It's nylon, not cotton, and frankly not as robust in construction as you would expect if you paid several times the price. If you're going to use it heavily, spring for a higher-end tent. (We do have a nice step-up model, for $299, plus $99 more for the sleeping cabin, and of course there are others out there for hundreds more still.) But if, like many people, you're likely to use it just a few times each season, this is probably all you need, and a bargain at the price.

You can see a picture at http://busdepot.com/tent.JPG . These are en route from Europe and won't be here for about 3 weeks. If you order in advance, you won't be charged until it ships. Part number A0097; you can order online.

Also, I have (coming in the same shipment) a simple awning for your Vanagon. Like the tent, it clamps to the rain gutter, so it's easily taken up and down, with no need to install hardware on your bus. It's about 9 x 7 feet, and includes guide ropes, stakes, and poles. At just $69, it sure beats a tarp and duct tape. :-) There is also an optional side wall that you can velcro to either side to shield against sun or rain, for an extra $49. Part numbers are A9032 for the awning, and A9033 for the side wall. http://busdepot.com/awning.JPG .

I'm really excited about these. For this price, everyone should get one.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by Part # 1-866-BUS-DEPOT