Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 2002 08:00:41 -0400
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon - old heads - leaks -alum. seal products $3
Comments: To: Larry Word <wordlarry2002@YAHOO.COM>

Larry,

I replaced the ones on my 84 last fall. The rubber seals were actually cut/torn or whatever in several spotts. That's what was causing what you could see. What was worse was what was out of sight! The metal sealing rings at the top of the sleeves were letting coolant into the head when cold and air into the coolant when hot. I also used alum-a-seal and it stopped the visual leaks but I had both and it would not stop inner seal leaks. Just keep a sharp eye out for signs of the inner seals leaking, air in coolant, pinging/pounding noise when started cold and unexplained coolant loss.

Happy motoring Joe R. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Word" <wordlarry2002@YAHOO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 4:39 AM Subject: Vanagon - old heads - leaks -alum. seal products $3