Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 2002 11:08:31 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Vana-Gremlins??

In the last three days, the Vana-gremlins have been hard at work:

Developed a slow leak in the right front tire. Saturday morning went to the tire repair shop. Small nail removed, hole plugged, went on my way. Drove directly to my son's tint shop. Customer coming out as I was going in, stopped me, said "Hey, did you know you have a nail in your left front tire??" Turned around, and sure enouh there it was, actually a screw, in the left front tire. Went straight away to the tire repair shop and had it fixed.

While waiting in the customer lineup for the tire repair, I decided to check my engine compartment, as I was still having s slight twitching during when driving. Wiggled the air filter housing and noticed movement in the crankcase breather hose which connects to the big air hose connected to the AFM. Closer inspection disclosed the hose was totally disintegrated in the center. So whatever crankcase pressure/vacuum that was supposed to be there wasn't. Had to hunt down a hose piece at the FLAPS and effect a repair. Low and behold, FLAPS "GAVE" me the 8" hose piece I needed!! Mucho T'anks.

In the process of the hose replacement, I discovered the big AFM hose didn't want to stay connected to the AFM. Realized the clamp holding it was not wide enough to get a good grip on the AFM hose port. Went in to the parts house and bought new but wider clamp, now hose stays tightly connected. Drove a bit, twitch still there.

Stopped, checked the engine again. Spotted a vacuum hose disconnected. Re-fitted and drove on. Still a twitch.

Goint on home, stopped at a light, engine rpm dropped down to normal idle of 850, 900 rpm, then suddenly began to rise and didn't stop until reaching 2200 rpm. I thought " this is nuts", Then the rpm dropped about 300 to 1900 then rose again to 2200. I drove it on home.

At home I immediately disconnected the ISV, then drove it. No Change.., idle, then sudden rise to 2200 rpm. I adjusted the idle by 50 rpm, still no change ... 2200 rpm, reconnected the ISV, no change, still rises to 2200 rpm. Disconnected the voltage side of the O2 sensor, NaDa, no change, 2200 rpm. Checked for sticking linkage. All worked smoothly.

Now I am at a loss on this. I have made a thorough check of all the connectors and vacuum lines. I have not started with a meter yet to look at voltages, but will soon.

Does any listmember have any experience with this high rpm syndrome. I had a similar thing sometime ago, but a simple idle speed adjustment took care of the problem. Nothing seems to work in this case. I have been reading my DigiFant FI system shop manual, but have not found any answers.

Any input on what may be causing this and/or how to trouble shoot would be appreciated.

John Rodgers 88 GL dRiver