Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 2002 22:01:36 -0700
From:         Craig Oda - Personal email <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>
Subject:      Cylinder head sticking to cylinder sleeve

I'm in the process of taking off my cylinder head and the sleeves are sticking to it. I've tried whacking the cylinder head with a wooden stick in an attempt to loosen it up. No go. I've been getting help from Dave who is having a similar adventure with his "Wolfy."

Dave used a large screwdriver on the lip of the cylinder sleeve to break the sleeve free from the head. Is this a risky thing to try? Is there any danger with scratching or warping the cylinder sleeve? I notice there are two little studs at the top of the sleeves, near the center. I would love to just take a screwdriver and pry the sleeve from the head using those as the leverage point. I read that someone from Canada used a hockey stick to break the sleeve free. Unfortunately, I don't have one of these right now.

I'm new to mechanics, but am forced to try this myself as I want to go camping this summer and the wife is balking at the cost of taking it to a mechanic.

I'm really intimidated at having to put the sucker back together, but first I have to make sure that the cylinder sleeves don't come out.

BTW, do I have to do both heads? I notice that the passenger side exhaust ports are discolored, especially on cylinder that is toward the front. I suspect that this is the only side that is leaking and causing my billowing white smoke problem.

Thanks for any help.

-- Craig

-- Craig Oda craigoda@communitybuilders.info VW Info: 1983 VW Westfalia, water-cooled, automatic