Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 2002 12:19:26 -0600
From:         Gnarlodious <Gnarlodious@CYBERMESA.COM>
Subject:      Re: -Diesel- Oil leak, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Esteamed Listees: When you go for a rebuild, watch out! The quality of the gaskets is way underrated as I am figuring out. Here is the complaint I have sent to the machine shop that rebuilt my diesel a year ago:

Dear Ram Engine, Spokane, Washington:

Last year I purchased a VW Diesel short block(bronze) from you. At the time I complained about the low quality of the gasket set I was forced to accept by your policy.

Now it has been 12 months later and 12K miles. I have replaced 4 gaskets including the head gasket which blew out in San Francisco.

Here is a photo of the most recent broken gasket: http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bludevil/BrokenGasket.jpg Notice how it was literally was pushed out of its two surfaces!

Here is a close up: http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bludevil/GasketDetail.jpg

The gasket I replaced it with was an original Volkswagen thick gasket but notice the broken one was paper thin!

Obviously the gasket set included with the engine was deficient, since each gasket I replace is much thinner than the Volkswagen original. I am now anticipating replacing the entire set incrementally.

I am not making a warrantee claim on this but you should know the poor quality of your gaskets has turned me into a dissatisfied customer and I will not recommend your machine shop. I will also post to my internet Vanagon group the poor quality of your work.

http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Vanagon/Vanagon.html Rachel's Vanagon Page