Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:50:22 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Canadian Shipping Whining---
Comments: To: "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

Terry, I think you may be missing the point of the original post.

The point WAS NOT that shipping "crooks" only exist when shipping from the US to Canada... the point WAS that brokerage fees make a material difference to the cost, are generally hidden to the unwary sender, and then charged on the back end to the helpless receiver.

US to Canada, Canada to US, US to New Zealand, or whatever. My original post was intended to warn listees about hidden fees and get them to ask the right questions before they ship.

YEARS before yesterday's post I was on the phone with Ron at Bus Depot asking him to send an item USPS instead of UPS and started to talk about fees... he politely cut me short and said "Don't worry Chris I know all about those brokerage fees to Canadians.". As I recall Ken Wilford at Vanagain was similarly aware.

Bottom line Terry, your post only serves to reinforce my point that no matter what side of the border you are on shippers will screw you if you walk in there blissfully unaware of the hidden fees they may charge.

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 06:28:24 -0500 >From: "Terry K." <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> >Subject: Re: Canadian Shipping Whining--- >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > >Ben, > >I am laughing -----out loud-- > >What an antique system---- > >I have been to them brokerage joints ---- > >I used to drive a truck, and many times have been stuck up at them >stupid broker's, waiting for them slower than molasses fools to inspect >my load, call the recipient, and wait for the recipient of the goods to >come and inspect the load, and then --oh maybe 3-4 hours later, be able >to deliver the stuff--- > >Yea--free trade----I ain't being payed by the hour mister-- lets get this >crap off my trailer!! > >What a money sucking, time consuming, inefficient, bureaucratic, >government BS idea them brokerages are---real efficient--- real fast >---- > >And a $24.00 shipping fee for a 2 lbs item, is a supreme rip off--- > >Lets see--I could have bought a magnum load of Captain Morgan for that >figure---:>) > >" We buy way more stuff from you guys than you do us"---Boo hoo, snob, >sniffle, bawl--- --you sound like a little whining kid, not getting to >play with the ball---- > >Talk to your local government representative, and get some industrial >capacity up,there----don't cry to me that all you guys got up there is >tree's fleas, and mosquitos---!! > >Ok---- I'm done--shipping from Canada is still a rip off---- > >Later > > >Terry