Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 2002 08:08:30 EDT
From:         Jeffrey R <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      blinking coolant light on 83 Westy

I haven't used my bus for about 3 weeks and drove it to work today. All is fine.

My bus is an 83.5 Watercooled 1.9 liter.

On the return trip about 1 minute into the drive the coolant light blinks, stops then blinks again, then stopped blinking. The temp gauge hasn't even gotten into the normal operating range at this point. The vehicle had been running for no more than about 2 minutes total, so it wasn't even warm--let alone overheating.

The light had stopped blinking. I pulled off the electrical connection plug from the coolant level warning light switch in the expansion tank and the light in the temp gauge started to blink steady and the gauge immediatly rose to the top. The connections on the plug looked a slight bit oxidized and maybe calcified. So I plugged and unplugged it a few times to clear some of the oxidation, then plugged it back together. I drove the 30 minute drive home without incident and no more blinking temp light. The temp gauge stayed rose as the vehilce warmed to where it always does (at least for the last year) which is a bit too much in the cool side--still slightly in the white at the low end of the gauge spectrum.

(the low reading on the gauge might be my thermostat opening early, or open all the time, or the temp sender--I don't know which--I've got to check it out)

My coolant level seems fine in both expansion tanks. Is there something I should check? Is the expansion tank cap failing? I've seen no sign of leaking fluid.

Should the coolant level warning switch be replaced? If this coolant level sensor is failing, could this be the cause of the low temp gauge reading or does the temp gauge work solely off the temp gauge sender? It seems odd that unplugging the coolant level warning light makes the gauge rise to the top.

Or, worse, Am I in grave danger?

I'll clean up the connections on the coolant level sensor in the daylight.

TIA Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA