Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 2002 15:09:02 -0600
From:         John Brush <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: anyone bought a Coleman thermoelectric cooler?
Comments: To: joseph Trussell <joetruss@HOTMAIL.COM>

>closed and only open it to get stuff out. I imagine it would make ice >cubes if I ran it long enough, but I think that would drain the battery >if I wasn't on the road all day...

>I'm thinking about doing the dual battery setup so that I can keep the >fridge running when I'm camped, but that's more $$$ and would require me >to get over my fears of frying the electrical system.

I am guilty of having an opinion without owning one of these, but what the heck....

When I checked on those types of coolers some time back, I recall being stunned at the power consumption. I do not recall the exact wattage rating, but it is not a battery operated device. I did, however, think it might be useful for just what you say; plug it in while driving and help the ice keep longer. Rather than use a deep cycle battery to run the thing, it might be better to try one of those xtreme coolers, or just spend the money on ice, rather than buying a power pig like these coolers are.

There is no magic in how they work. They use a lot of power, just like a regular refrigerator, only they are exposed to a lot more heat. Check the box for the wattage or the amps and I think you will see what I mean.

Just another opinion.....

Regards,

John