Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:26:11 EDT
From:         JordanVw@AOL.COM
Subject:      portable coolers and installing a auxillary battery

Subj: RE: steve-Re: anyone bought a Coleman thermoelectric cooler? Date: 6/12/02 5:23:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time From:    stevej@wb32tv.com (Steve Johnson) Reply-to: <A HREF="mailto:stevej@wb32tv.com">stevej@wb32tv.com</A> (stevej@wb32tv.com) To:    JordanVw@aol.com ('JordanVw@aol.com')

Here is what I did, it is simple and works for me:

I installed a second battery using only a simple relay (Hella: $18.95) from Bus Depot. I bought a brand new stock size lead-acid battery and replaced the original battery under the passenger seat. I then put the still very good original battery under the drivers seat and connected a heavy ground strap to the body. I connected only the positive charging wire from the relay to that battery (drivers side). I run my "fridge" and 300 watt power inverter of the second battery. I still run everything built into the van off the main (pass. side) battery (easier this way), it is brand new and will probably never die. If I ever fully discharge the main battery I can jump start the car internally with a simple single 4 ft.. jumper cable connected only to the positive terminal of each battery (they are both grounded).

The relay simply keeps my spare (drivers side) battery charged all the time. You will need to find the trigger wire so the relay only connects the charging circuit when the alternator has come up to speed. I have a Carat so I simply ran a second wire from The D+ stud on the alternator, under the car (be careful here), and to the relay.

Cost: 84 month battery $50 Hella relay kit      $19 Ground Strap       $ 8 Battery terminals $ 3 ------------------------------- Total                   $80   plus misc. wire and connectors and a bolt w/nut for ground strap to body.

Steve Johnson ' 91 Carat

P. S. Advanced idea for those who truly understand: I actually have the four foot jumper bolted to the positive terminal of the spare battery at all times!!! I then have the end with the clamp triple insulated in a leather pooch and stored under the seat making sure it cannot touch ground.

I'm very on top of this so it is safe for me.

If I ever need to jump start my van I just pull out the cable, move the passenger seat forward and clamp it to the positive terminal of the main battery and I'm off.

Steve Johnson ' 91 Carat

thanks for the info steve.. whered you get your dual batt setup, and how hard was it to install?