Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 2002 18:53:39 -0400
From:         Karl M <thewestyman@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Dometic fridge temps, and single-stage regulators
Comments: To: Syncrolist <syncrolist@yahoogroups.com>

I've been trying to get one of three fridges to cool sufficiently the past three days, finally the third is cooling well, or so I think! So, I am curious what temps one can expect from the Dometic on a 90-degree day. (I've never tested one with thermometer until now) I've added the little computer fan clipped into the fins inside the fridge for air circulation, as well as a switch to run the external fan constant when needed. Right now, after 3 or so hours, I have 46 degrees F. with a thermometer laying on the ice-cube shelf (fridge is empty). Seems fairly good to me, what do you think?

The second part: one fridge I had in the van cooled to 50 on an 80-degree day, so I pulled it and flipped it overnight, cleaned the burner, checked pressure, etc, and it now cools LESS. ????? Should I consider this one a dud? Another funny thing I discovered, one of the vans here had a single-stage regulator installed, strangely enough, this was the one the best-cooling fridge came from. I now am using that regulator temporarily on my van while I get a replacement for the flaky one I pulled off. My old reg wouldn't hold a constant pressure, if I adjusted it it would go out of whack the next day. This reg is only a few months old. Oh--the question--what is the purpose of a two-stage reg, is it truly needed, or will a single work as well, in a pinch? Thanks!

Karl Mullendore Westy Ventures 1987 Westfalia Syncro 1.9TD