Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:05:23 -0700
From:         Jim Arnott <jrasite@EONI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Uh oh, new Bus a go! (list ancient history)
Comments: To: Jim Ellis <ellisjames@yahoo.com>

It wasn't *that* bad...

Jim Ellis wrote: > > Cleaning it up for public consumption, I'd mention that Jim Arnott has informed > me of the vanagon@yahoogroups.com SPARE list. > > OK, I feel *MUCH* better informed and a like my ass is a bit lop-sided with > that chunk bit out of it... Yeeeks!

Regarding the "spare" list:

(Remember, I'm old. I didn't take notes. Others may have corrections. (JOEL!!!!) Errors may occur...)

Unlike many mailing lists, the (generic) Type 2 lists all run on their own hardware. Vanagon lives on a system in the possession of Tom Carrington and the type2 and vintagebus lists live on a server currently kept in a server farm in the Seattle area. Each of these servers are owned by the respective list(s).

The Vanagon list was originally hosted on a server at the University of Minnesota by Gerry Skerbitz. Eventually, Gerry felt that it was time for his creation to go out on its own and list contributions purchased an HP dual Pentium for list hosting. The List (capitalized because at the time there was but one list) was then migrated from the University's system to the new box. This new box was then packed up and sent to Chris Smith for installation in San Diego. IIRC, Chris handled the hardware issues and Coyote (Ron Lussier) dealt with the list admin tasks.

The spare list was created when gerry, the Vanagon list server (so named that we never forget our roots), was moved from its home in (IIRC) the San Diego Supercomputer Center (Chris and Coyote, list admins) to the wilds of Quesnel, British Columbia (David Marshall, list admin). This move took nearly a month to accomplish and for that time the 'spare' list was 'the' list. The spare list was again called to action when gerry was moved from BC to Tom on the east coast USA.

Before the gerry server came into the possession of our beloved and patient list admin Tom, gerry had a habit of losing his mind every so often. Because of this propensity, I continued to maintain the spare list to keep many from asking, "Is gerry down?" of gerry when gerry was in fact down. It allowed us to have a means of communicating the fact that gerry had, yet again, bit the dust.

A side note here: To determine if gerry is up, simply send a message to listserv@gerry.vanagon.com with a message of 'thank you'. If gerry's healthy, he'll reply 'You're welcome' within a few minutes. DO NOT send the message to vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com. If you send it there and gerry is down it just gets added to the message queue. This creates more traffic to sort out when he comes back up. Messages sent to the list address are queued and sent out. Messages sent to the listserv address are commands.

An additional benefit of having the spare list is Yahoo!'s (boy, will that make my jr. high school English teacher cringe!) server to store photos and files. There is a finite amount of space there, but we haven't filled it in five or six years. If we do fill it, I have a couple of options. I can either delete older stuff or I can just create another 'spare' group to hold the additional stuff. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it...

So ends today's history lesson.

Now, just out of curiousity, how many of the original vanagon@lenti listmembers are still here? P-mail please. I'll tally and publish Friday. Please make the subject "Vanagon@lenti" to ease tracking.

Jim Arnott "Spare" Vanagon admin