Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Jul 2002 21:55:21 -0500
From:         Marshall <mjruskin@SHAW.CA>
Subject:      Re: anyone bought a Coleman thermoelectric cooler?

I did my graduation thesis from EE on the subject of thermoelectric effects.

These devices are incredibly robust - they are used to power the Pioneer spacecraft, after all - but they are incredibly inefficient. If I recall, they are aproximately 3% efficient.

You could get more cooling efficiency by compressing air with an electric tire inflator, radiating the heat, and then expanding the air through a venturi! Run it in a cycle. Maybe I'll make one of those!

IMHO, somebody should market a REASONABLY-PRICED, tiny, compression refridgerator unit. Those can be incredibly efficient - if the hot side is ventilated well.

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: "The Bus Depot" <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 06:54 PM Subject: Re: anyone bought a Coleman thermoelectric cooler?