Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:36:51 -0500
From:         All of Us <weber@OWC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Odometer/ tripometer broken
Comments: To: Ry L Blaisdell <rblaisdell@JUNO.COM>

Ry:

I just recently started having a problem with this. The shaft that transports the odometer numbers (odo-shaft) would slide to the left and the numbers would appear to have dropped down and back from their normal place when looking at them through the "windows" in the speedometer. The odo-shaft had slid far enough to the left that the right end would drop out of the hole it rides in on clear plastic part on the right hand side of the speedo assembly. Every time it drops out the darn thing stops registering mileage on both the odo and trip meter. Speedo would still work so you knew how fast but not how far.

I took the dash apart several times and slid the odo-shaft back into place but it seemed that whenever I reset the trip meter the thing would slide back out within a few miles.

The solution I used was to drill a small hole in the left hand side of the outer dash housing, and thread in a screw to act as a stop to limit how far the odo-shaft could slide to the left. The hole is drilled in the housing that carries the tach, speedo, guages, and idiot lights. I measured it so the hole is located at the end of the odo-shaft that keeps slipping to the left. I threaded in a small allen head screw I had laying around and tightened it down by feel until it just touched the odo-shaft. I backed it off so there would be a little play and not have constant pressure on the odo-shaft. Seems to be working so far. I did this repair about a week ago so only time will tell. Good luck and let me know if you come up with a different solution.

Dan Weber Miss Blue-'87 GL Weekender

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ry L Blaisdell" <rblaisdell@JUNO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 7:12 PM Subject: Odometer/ tripometer broken