Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 2002 00:17:47 -0700
From:         Michael Ramer <elvisramer@COX.NET>
Subject:      Red Oil light on!

Okay, so my new engine installation experience was fairly painless until today, when after about 12 miles of freeway driving and when slowing down on the off-ramp, the oil light and buzzer began doing their thing. I was more than a little alarmed, but I decided to let the engine run for a little longer to see if it might stop and it did- both the light and buzzer ceased alarming after I started accelerating again. It happened again as I was coming home from work late this evening, and each time after some high-speed (relatively speaking of course) driving. I did lower the idle speed while dialing in the timing this afternoon, but not sure why that might affect it. The engine (2.1L) has about 300 miles on it so far. Could it be that the sensor(s) is starving under heavy braking? I am currently running Valvoline 10W-30 in mild So Cal weather. The engine seems to run fine other than this scary moment. No overheating or performance issues of any kind. I'll dig through the Bentley for more info on this, but by chance does anyone remember the task of installing a oil psi gauge? I seem to recall that an extension line needs to be installed...would be nice to know exactly what the psi is.

TIA, Mike