Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:01:01 -0400
From:         Jon Sykes <jon.sykes@PS.GE.COM>
Subject:      82 diesel vanagon passed the diesel emissions test!  Diesel Wisdo
              m?  Coolant cap?
Comments: To: Audi-VW-Diesels@yahoogroups.com, vwdiesel@vwfans.com,
          vanagon@egroups.com, limbolist@yahoogroups.com

I'm so happy. My 82 diesel vanagon sailed through the diesel emissions test yesterday afternoon. She did 69 mph on the dyno, believe it or not. Alan at Diesels Only here in Denver is a great guy and knows the VW diesel engine well. I'd recommend them! He actually mentioned that diesels perform better in cold weather. Also said that Texaco and Diamond Shamrock sell the best diesel. Last but not least mentioned that I should not be afraid to work the engine, that it's better to give it the revs and max speed in each gear when need be (especially on hills, hiway, etc.), rather than pussyfoot and labor the engine Said that 4th gear is really an overdrive! I'm not 100% sure about this though. I'd like to get many miles out of this engine before it needs a rebuild (he said 150k is possible as long as the oil's changed every 2500 miles) and don't want to lower the mpg too much. Driving the van through its full capacity and not being afraid to use 3rd gear up to 40 or 45 mph is quite a different diesel vanagon experience. Can keep up with the flow of traffic much better. Like I said though, I'm worried that driving her this way could do some damage or wear the engine out faster. Anyway, I'm one happy camper (and all set to do some camping).

I noticed that the cap is missing on the overflow coolant tank - the one behind the license plate door. It was sealed with a bit of plastic which must have come off. I've replaced the plastic but probobly should find the right cap for it (I lost a bit of coolant on the drive home due to the plastic falling off). Anyone know where I can find one?