Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:23:26 -0500
From:         James Fritz <jfritz@WILLINET.NET>
Subject:      Re: [FIX] Sound deadening with B-Quiet products?
Comments: To: Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM>

Brent, Sorry I didn't respond to you earlier but have been off-line. I read many of the other reply posts, and had a thought of my own......

First, many of these products seem to be asphalt based and incredibly expensive.

Secondly, for less than one dinky sheet from JC Whipme or anyplace else, you could go to your local lumberyard and check out a product called Ice and Water Shield This is an asphalt based product that is used on roof edges and valleys prior to shingling. It has a peel off backing that exposes the sticky side. You can buy a 3' X 50' roll of the stuff for around $35. I've used a lot of it on a recent home building project. Used a couple types. The cheaper type had a granular surface on the non-sticky side and was more rigid. It probably wouldn't be appropriate for working on irregular surfaces. The more expensive type is made by Grace. Its like two sided fly-paper and could easily be formed to irregular surfaces although the use of a heat gun would probably be recommended. Its probably between 1/16" - 1/4" thick, black, and sticky. For less than $50 you could do the entire interior of a Westy!

My 2¢

Jim in Iowa 91 Passat Wagon GL 89 Westy 66 Beetle

On Monday, June 10, 2002 4:48 PM, Brent Christensen <sbsyncro@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote: >OK - I am pulling the door panels off next weekend to re-wire my windows and >side mirrors, and while at it I plan to install some sound deadening >materials. I have spent hours poring over the archives on the subject, as >well as poring over the manufacturers' web sites, and I am TOTALLY confused. >Why do these companies have to make a dozen products each that all sound >like they do the same thing? Grrr.... > >Can anyone provide definitive advice on which of these products to use in >the door panels, and why: > > B-Quiet Extreme > B-Quiet Lite > Brown Bread > Dynamat > B-Quiet Vcomp > B-Quiet Lcomp > >For the life of me, I cannot make sense of it all - they all sound the same >(no pun intended). Also, is there one of the products that will replace >the "mat" that is installed under the carpeting in a GL Vanagon? (It looks >to be made of a mixture of felt and cork). > >Thanks in advance, > >Brent Christensen