Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:30:34 -0700
From:         patrice b <prb@TELEVAR.COM>
Subject:      More ?s  85 GL Mudflaps/driver's step

I got a few p-mails-- thanks for responses. And they included this one:

> Hmm. > So this means you're a turnip hauling, midget, rock chipped baby that lives > in the boonies? > How'd you get a GL? Lucky.

<snort!> <guffaw> <grin>

Well, I WOULD like to point out a couple things here, though, to set the record straight ;-) I am 5'8" but it's the POSITION of the front step so far forward of the seat, and its having room for only one foot --NOT the height of the step-- that's giving me a problem. So no more short jokes! :-) You step up with the left foot and have to 'climb' with the right leg, or step up with the right leg and have to twist around backward as you push up to get yer butt (that's my bruised turnip butt, thankyouverymuch) into the seat. I'm tall, but I do actually have a muscle strength disorder, so I can't easily do this all with the leg muscles of one leg...

QUESTION: Maybe I need to install a handle (instead of/in addition to a step) on the driver's side to help me pull up-- WHERE would not be a problem visually when driving, though, that also has the strength to hold a handle? Maybe on the outside to the right of the door? hmmm I just want to stop using the steering wheel for leverage, you know? Can't be good for the wheel to get yanked on....

Also, to the person who suggested using the sliding door--I do, and that gets awkward, because I have removed the middle seat and built a non-folding bed between the back of the driver's seat onto the the three-seater in the back (it is two seats wide, allowing a third passenger in the seat closest to the sliding door, if need be...I have storage under the bed that I can pull out into the space a seat-wide by the door...I find it convenient to not have to open and close a fold-out bed to get to storage or to the engine. It has a plywood top and four 2x2 legs as well as resting on the back seat for support, so I can get the thing out with no more difficulty than taking out the rear seat when I have to do something like change a rear heater core--BTDT)

The bed does block the middle opening between front seats, though. I have to sit on the bed and swing my legs over the bed between the front seats, and not step on my cupholder/cassette tape console that's there to get to the driver's seat... Gotta take some gymnastics lessons-- were these offered free to the original '85 owner? <heh heh>

QUESTION: MUDFLAPS-- to those who gave pointers to places to buy them and prices, thank you. What I'm still not clear on is where you put 'em and if the way to attach them is already there on an 85GL, or if I need to buy or make hardware and drill holes etc to install. Anyone know?

--Patrice